Saturday, December 31, 2011

Soundtrack to My Life Part 2

PART 1, IN CASE YOU MISSED IT


Welcome back.  We're just going to pick right up where we left off in the soundtrack of my life:

DISCLAIMER - These songs in no way reflect my current musical interests.  Most of them have some kind of sentimental value to me.


Many have theorized exactly what he means when he says that he wants a girl with a short skirt and a long jacket.  Some people think it means that he wants a girl that's all business while being all party at the same time and knows how to get stuff done - no bullshit.  While I think that's a valid point, I'm especially drawn to the idea because if a girl wears a short skirt and a long jacket, it looks like she doesn't have pants on.

I think I identify with this song because of the strong use of similes (something that I strive for).  Plus the woman they describe is pretty much the woman I want.  Why WOULDN'T I want a girl with fingernails that shine like justice??  I like justice.  And I like fingernails.  Who would have thought that those two lovely things would come together?

In all seriousness, I do think there are some good things to take from this song.  Basically, he wants a woman, not a girl.  I can relate to that.


It's the opening lyrics that I really like:  "Never thought anything lasts forever / hanging on every word / hold the cards in tight / but you're killing me with sincerity / and I'd make any move tonight"

I'm usually pretty guarded with people - that's no secret.  If I can give a person 40% honesty, I consider myself being truthful with them.  I've only found a few people that I truly feel like I can be myself around.  But out of all the things that a person can do to charm me over, complete and perfect sincerity is probably the best.  When a girl is completely direct about what it is she wants or expects, my heart melts a little.  When someone tells me directly "you interest me" or that they want to get to know me, I'm all for it.  When someone gives me a good compliment, I relive the moment for the rest of the day.  I guess you could say that I value in other people what I value in myself.  I pride myself on the amount of sincerity I can unleash on an individual.  Unfortunately, most people don't have the social skills to cope with someone being direct and sincere, so they act all weird and then try to say that I'm acting weird.

The memory I have attached to this song is actually pretty funny.  When I first started dating Sara 1.0, we decided to exchange our life soundtracks (much like what I'm doing right now, only I also received a long soundtrack).  I gave her mine first because she wasn't done with hers.  When I got hers a day later, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that a lot of the same songs were on her soundtrack!  It was like we already had so much in common!  I didn't realize it at the time, but now I'm fully aware that she just went and copied some of the songs I gave her and flipped them as her own so that I would be impressed.  Mission accomplished, I suppose; Dark Night of the Soul was one of those songs.  

My goodness, I used to be so dumb...


I initially found this song a little disturbing - "If you die and no one wants you, then I'll kill myself and we can be together in nothingness" is really what it all means.  I guess some people fantasize about following their loved one into Limbo.  

But I have a really nice memory attached to the song (it's a Sara 1.0 memory, though, so it doesn't really count)  I was living in Provo, Utah for a summer.  She was from Clearfield, Utah, which I think is like an hour or so north.  One Sunday, I went to visit her and had dinner with her family and stuff.  Then she gave me a CD to listen to while I drove home and this was one of the songs on it.  I had heard the song before, but it meant something completely different that time around; I really felt like she loved me.  So as I drove home, I listened to this song over and over and smiled all big every time.  

Then it turned out that she was a dirty skank.  But this memory in isolation is a good one.

And then I drove myself to the emergency room the next morning... (story for another time)


Sitting in a crowd of people listening to Benjy Davis was a lot of fun.  When he started playing this song, not only did I laugh super hard at the lyrics, but I don't think I've ever heard a crowd react so well to a song.  After singing the first chorus with him, everyone broke out into a huge love-fest, grabbing the nearest person to them and... well... you get it.  We would break things briefly to sing the chorus, and then resume the loving.  So of course I have an awesome memory attached to this song.  Three awesome memories, in fact...

I've always been one of those people who think that anytime is a good time for romance.  I don't care if I'm on the front step of a huge beautiful mansion at night overlooking the quiet valley below while snow gently falls (true story - Anne-Marie), or on a subway.  Anytime is a good time for lovin'.  I feel like I need a woman who can agree to that.


I'll go ahead and admit it outright - I used to cheat on girls.  I didn't think much of it at the time.  I didn't really understand what I was putting other people through.  Insensitive and stupid, I know, but I'm lucky because I'm capable of learning lessons.  I know better, now, and as a result, have absolutely no patience for it.  If I watch a movie where a husband cheats on a wife or whatever, I'll most likely leave.  I find that more offensive than violence, crude humor, or partial nudity.

As far as I know, I've been cheated on twice.  One was at a New Year's party in high school (and rather than getting mad, I got even by making them both cheat on each other - bisexuals are so much fun), and the other was Sara 1.0.  It's very possible that it's happened more and I just don't know about it.

I've had friends that tell me, "I don't know why, but this song reminds me of you."  I always kind of felt that way about the song, too.  I'm not totally sure why.  Almost everyone cheats / gets cheated on in life - it's just one of those things about relationships that sucks.  I guess I can relate to the madness-inducing emotions and paranoia that accompany distrust.

21.  All I Want Is You - Tristan Prettyman (originially by Barry Louis Polisar)

Original Song Recording HERE

I think it's clear why I prefer the Tristan Prettyman version.

I mean this in the most masculine, manly, gender-secure way possible -- This song is adorable.


This video is so hot to me.  Tristan Prettyman is so freaking sexy.

Points to pay attention to - at 0:57 when Tristan Prettyman looks at G. Love... I wouldn't mind getting looked at like that.

Tristan Prettyman between 2:28 and 2:35 is so freaking sexy.

This song reminds me of Jamie.  The Jamie story is kind of a weird one and I don't really feel like telling it right now, but I probably will at some point in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Funny, I'm pretty sure that in the past I came very close to writing "You want a girl with a short skirt and a looooooooong jacket" on one of your FB statues. I totally should have.

    ReplyDelete