Monday, July 25, 2011

Any Last Words?

So Saturday night I got a text from my dad saying that my gramma on my mom's side has had a few strokes and is in the hospital and that the family was going to meet together after fasting to decide the best course of action.

Gramma Adams has been a widow since 2003.  I don't know how long her and grampa were married before he passed away due to cancer.  To my knowledge, they were never apart for longer than a day or so throughout their lifetime.  She has been lonely and miserable ever since he left and has wanted nothing more than to pass on to him.

We were never terribly close.  Her approaching death won't really alter my life in any way.  I'm more worried about my mom and how she'll handle it.  But it's still a sad thing when a family member passes on.

Anyway, I just got a call from my mom, saying that she is about to go inside to see gramma and wanted to see if I wanted to talk to her one more time.  So in a few minutes, I'm going to be getting a phone call and then it'll be up to me to express my love for a dying woman who won't be able to respond to me.

I've never had to deliver any "last words" to a person before.  I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to say.  It can't be much because she can't really talk.  It'll probably be nothing more than a simple "I love you" and "thanks for the awesome middle name".  It's just kind of a weird feeling knowing that in a few minutes I will say the last thing that I will ever say to a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment