Monday, May 9, 2011

The State of Things

Dating Status:  Single
Location:  California
Occupation:  Salesman
Amount of Time in California:  4 months
Number of Friends:  0
Majority of Time Spent:  Videogames
Number of Adorable Nieces:  2

That pretty much catches us up.

After spending a few days driving across the country, I've come to realize one thing:  I'm really good at thinking about stuff.  Me, being the single man that I am, spent most of my free time thinking about members of the opposite gender.  There really isn't a foreseeable future with any of the girls I currently know.  I'll give it a quick rundown for you:

There is something about married women that attracts me.  I don't know if it's because they're married, or if it's because I would normally find them attractive but they just happen to be married.  I also have a strong history of dating girls that are just a little older than me.  When we combine the two together, it's a deadly cocktail.  There's one girl especially that I've had to stop being around.  We'll just say that we had two hugely awkward moments that made me decide that it was best to pretend like she doesn't exist.  It wasn't anything like we almost did it or anything like that.  It was just... awkward moments.  I dunno.  It's hard to explain without going into too much detail about it (something that I would do if she weren't married, but she is, so I'll leave it alone).  So yeah... being married definitely takes you out of the running (but puts you in it at the same time).  And she's not the only married one that I find attractive. She's just one of the married ones that I've decided to ignore, so you get to hear about it.  Her husband's a good enough guy.

Moving away from the married realm:

There is one girl, especially, that I am EXTREMELY interested in.  We'll go ahead and call her Paige (not her real name, I assure you).  I've wanted to ask Paige out for almost a year, now.  I met her at her place when I was at a friend's birthday party.  At the time, I was in my weird dating/friend state with Sara 2.0, so I couldn't (in good conscience) pursue her.  Looking back on it, that was a mistake.  Paige, from what I can tell, represents basically everything that I want in a girl.  She's just an impressive person. Everything about her intrigues me.  She's quietly cute, very active, extremely intelligent, and friendly to everyone.  Her smile is adorable and her eyes are captivating.  Her hair is dark and her skin is fair.  She's driven and determined to have success.  No one person has too much information about her (I don't know why that's a notch in the "good" column, but it is).  I have yet to hear a bad thing about her (and that's a big deal at SVU).  There's only one downside:

She has a boyfriend.

Now, I don't know how serious things are with her boyfriend.  I'm not sure how long they've been dating (just checked Facebook - since November).  I don't know where things are headed.  Judging by her age (I think she's a year older than me), and assuming that his age is about the same, it's pretty safe to say that things are headed towards marriage.  Which is sad, because I think I'm a better match for her.  I've never met the guy.  That's how confident I am in myself.  My confidence gets me into a lot of trouble.  Her boyfriend is away somewhere doing something (military, maybe?), so maybe the distance will get to them.  The problem is that I'm here in California and I'm pretty sure she's in Virginia still, so it's not like distance is on my side.

So I guess the only thing I can really do is stand in the sidelines and wait for the guy to screw things up.  Will he?  I dunno, I hope so.  Am I going to continue inviting her along to hang out with me and my friends and pretend that I don't know she has a boyfriend?  You betcha.  I haven't exactly been subtle about my intentions, but she continues to talk to me and stuff.  Is it all show?  I hope not.  I like her.

So that's Paige.

And now it's time for bed.  We'll continue this conversation later.

No comments:

Post a Comment