Monday, August 16, 2010

Addiction-Prone Brandon

I mentioned it earlier, but I'm going to go ahead and talk about it again.  I've found, over the course of my life, that there is one character flaw that seems to really screw me over repeatedly.  I've found that I'm extremely prone to addiction.

When I say addiction-prone, I'm not really talking about drugs or drinking (although I do currently have a thing for snoozeberries).  I'm talking about being addicted to anything.

If I hear a song I like, I listen to it until I know all the words, the bass line, the drum part, the guitar part, and any other instrument.  Not like know-them-enough-to-sing-them.  More like I-know-exactly-which-notes-they're-playing.  I listen to it until it's dead and can't move anymore.

If there's a movie that I really like, I'll watch it over and over until my friends become concerned and set up a "check on Brandon" schedule.  I'm willing to bet that I've watched Wall-E more than any other person ever.  Don't judge me.  Wall-E is awesome.  Screw you.

If I own a spoon and a bowl that I really like (like I currently do), I exclusively use that spoon and that bowl.  I'll wash them when I'm done, and then put them in their special place so that my roommates would have to go out of their way to use them.  Today, my bowl and my spoon weren't there, and I panicked for a good 2 minutes, pacing around the kitchen and talking to myself, telling myself that things were ok and that I could just wash the dishes and then use them.  It was a traumatic experience for me, so please don't bring it up.

If there's a particular turn on a particular road that I love taking at a particular speed, making sure that I brake a few meters before the turn, hitting the apex, and accelerating out and swinging wide on the exit, I'll go on drives just for that opportune moment.  I'll drive 45 minutes away to a road that's extremely inconvenient to get to, and then I'll take that turn, turn around and go home.

For a while, I really loved shifting from 4th to 6th in my car.  Even today, I kept doing it.  I didn't need to.  5th gear would have done just fine in between them, but I get a kick out of shifting from 4th to 6th.

If I have a good conversation with a girl I like, I will replay that conversation over and over in my head for the next forever.  I analyze it, reanalyze it, imagine different perspectives and basically obsess over a stupid conversation about stand-up comedians for weeks.  It's very distracting and it's hard to concentrate in class when I'm thinking about a conversation that happened 3 months ago.

If I make up a solo on the piano, I will play it over and over until my roommates think that it's a song that I have stuck on repeat.  Then their turn comes up on the "check on Brandon" schedule, they check, and find out that I've been playing the exact same thing over and over and over for the last 2 and half hours.

If there's a word that I find out I really like to type, I open up a word file and type that word out a few times, just to get it out of my system.

I buy the exact same things from restaurants that I ordered on my first visit.  I never branch out.  That means that my first visit is extremely important and stressful because if I get it wrong, that restaurant is ruined for me for the rest of my life.

I have dozens of ties, but only wear 2 of them - a blue one and a red one, depending on my mood.  Lately, it's been exclusively the red one.

If I get a girlfriend, I want to be around her all the time, doing girlfriend-boyfriend-y things.  Not in like a needy kind of way, but I don't know how else to explain it.  I'm happy without them, and I'm happy with them, but I prefer to be with them at all times.

Every semester, I set the goal to attend every class.  I do alright until a few weeks in when I miss my first class.  It can be a legit reason like I'm sick and preparing to die, or it can be lame like I went tubing in the river instead.  After that, going to class becomes extremely difficult - like I'm addicted to not going and I feel like I'm in a 12-step program when I go to class.

My grocery list has remained exactly the same for the last 2 years with very very subtle changes.

I do this for just about everything imaginable.  It makes sense, I suppose.  If I like something, I keep doing it.  Only, I feel like I'm the only person that goes to such great lengths to maintain the things I like. Driving forever for a TURN??  That's not a joke!  I actually do that!  I haven't been diagnosed with OCD, and I'm like 93% sure I don't have it.  I just really like to do the things that I really like to do.

1 comment:

  1. I think this... deserves a comment. This post explains entire months of my life in BV. And I'm just not quite sure how I feel about that!

    ReplyDelete